Translate

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The crazies in my head

My mind never stops.
There is always some project or mad idea swirling around in there.
Something I want to try, something I want to make, something I want to say.
It is very rarely silent.
I used to worry that I had schizophrenia because there was so much going on in there. Each idea had its own personality and voice. But once my Dr stopped laughing and explained to me what schizophrenia actually was, I don't worry so much anymore. Now I just think I might be a little bit crazy. Not rubber stamp me, lock me away for my own and others people's safety sort of crazy. Just a little left of mainstream normal, sort of a fringe dweller of crazy normal.

Thought I would share with you some of my crazy.
I want wings. I have always wanted wings. I can feel exactly where they would come out on my back, coz it is always itchy on that spot.
Some days I can feel my wings rising up to wrap around me, to wrap around others, to give added oomph to my day.
So I made a set of wings.
3 metres tip to tip.
I made them out of paper. By hand cutting around 800 feathers ranging in size from 1 metre to 10 cm in length.
I had no idea how they would work. I only knew I needed to make myself a pair of wings.
 close up of the feathers

As I made them other people became interested in them. Seems everyone secretly or not so secretly wants wings. People's reactions to them were really interesting. Many positioned themselves in front of the wings and had their picture taken so it looked like they had wings.
I printed the feathers with the words Faith, Hope and Love. I was asked repeatedly why those words. So I wrote the following. I don't like the word poem, but I can't quite bring myself to call it prose either. So I wrote 'the following' to go with the wings.

WINGS

Faith, Hope and Love
are the wings we all wear but do not see.
They help us to soar,
experiencing the exhilaration of all life has to offer.
In moments of sorrow, pain or confusion
they wrap around us, nurturing us until
we can again take flight.
We can wrap our wings around others,
lending them our strength
until they find their own again.


Everyone needs Faith, Hope and Love.
It is the core being of who we are,
no matter what Spiritual or Religious belief you hold.
Faith, Hope and Love define us,
guide us and protect us.


Our wings are made of individual feathers,
so that when we lose one the other can maintain us
until a new feather grows in.
We are designed this way because when we lose a little Faith,
Hope and Love will keep us afloat
until our Faith feather grows back in.
Same for Hope and Love,
they will be sustained by the other two
until we are whole again.


So spread your wings flex them and arch them,
show the world,
show yourself,
you are MAGNIFICENT
You were born to fly on the wings of your
Faith, Hope and Love

By Georgia Brain
(Copyright 2013)

this is them from a distance on our lounge room wall.

I entered them into an art exhibition. I had never entered anything in anything before so I was nervous because to my crazy head I was not an artist. I was just someone with a mad idea. I won people's choice. I was so stunned. There was some amazing work in that exhibition. Work I could never in my life create. But the people seemed to connect with my wings. I guess everyone has a little angel inside them trying to get out.

For another exhibition 10 mannequins were given to artists of various mediums to turn into 'the perfect man'. They were to be auctioned off at the exhibition to raise money and awareness for a vital cause Impact for Women. An organisation that helps women fleeing domestic violence.
I didn't think I was good enough to make anything but thought seeking further information about the project couldn't hurt.
I came home with a mannequin named Harry. Harry and I talked and bonded as I ran my hands over his perfectly formed torso. He wanted to be Henry. He felt like a Henry. So he underwent a name change.
My family are wonderful. They love an adventure and accept my craziness as normal and did not mind the plastic man in the bath tub (he needed a bath) or when he then took over the dining table for a month or more.
I wanted Henry to be my perfect man. So given my love of buttons (almost a fetish... but not quite. I do have some self control around them) I knew Henry needed to be made of buttons. I also wanted to show what a perfect man is to me. 
So I used Proverbs 22:6 'Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.'
To me this was telling us that if like a sapling we train a tree and give it good roots and nourishment the tree will stand strong and steadfast and a be a shelter and source of life, just like a perfect man. And so from a plastic torso to a mannequin with personality and life Henry was created.





Whilst making Henry I began to think about mosaic art. How cool would it be to mosaic a guitar? I had seen plenty of them on Pinterest. I had a friend pick up a guitar for me off hard rubbish, it was banged up and the back was off. Perfect.
So I gave it some thought. I could go the traditional route... but that's not really me. Also it is a guitar. It should be mosaic-ed in a manner that best represents it. Plectrums.
So I sourced 535 plectrums and a set of tuners (can't recall what they are called... the things that your tighten the strings) plus a bunch of G strings (because it amused me) and I set to work.
I named her Arabesque, Bessie for short. Because I wanted her to be beautifully ornate.


I am happy with how she came out. I have plans already for the next one. hee hee hee.
But this is just some of the stuff that goes through my head on a creating level. Then there is the writing.
I have been slowly plugging away at a book for a few years now. I am afraid of it, well bits of it. But I will get there and I will post excerpts of it here from time to time.
But for now.
Rock On
love
Georgia



No comments:

Post a Comment